4 Jun 2014

KIMBRA - 90s MUSIC



When I first heard the audio for this track, I was a honestly a little taken aback. This is probably because I'm not used to hearing Kimbra's voice layered on this type of beat.  After a few more listens, and once my brain got adjusted to this 'shocking reality'...the song honestly grew on me.

One thing I love about Kimbra is that she has guts, balls and the other parts of the anatomy that connote with being brave. Some artists find their little niche and stick with it...but in todays' music industry, I would assume that people get bored of listening to the same old thing.


Kimbra has already shown that she's a passionate jazz/soul songstress in 'Vows'. I think that the time is right for her to show the different styles of music she's been exploring and seems to love.

I have to commend her for bringing the coveted feel of the 90's in her video. The crazy outfits and 'box room' settings. I definitely felt a little 90's nostalgia from the furry visors and vests. The video literally vomits out a rainbow of neon colours and quirky attitude that screeeeeams 90's!! Throw in some chokers and platforms, along with baggy clothing and you're back watching 'Freaks and Geeks', 'Kenan and Kel' and 'Clarissa' to name a few.

Come to think of it, the fashion scene is really 90's orientated at this moment in time. Like all the chokers, platforms, neon colours, crop tops. I for one, being a late 90's kid and all, am definitely feeling it. Yes! Let's re-live the 90's.....at least through our wardrobe selection, haha.!!

Scrolling through the YouTube comments as you do, I found a lot of mixed reviews, most of them were negative, probably because people are not used to this side of Kimbra.
I get it, if you don't get the concept, you're not going to be into it.

But I say go for it! I love an ARTIST who breaks down barriers and explores their art-form. Kimbra pays homage to musical artists that I guess influenced her in her late childhood, for example like her lyrics state 'MJ & Mariah, Nirvana & Aaliyah, R-Kelly & Mary Blige, TLC & Left Eye'. I can totally relate as I remember spending hours dancing and singing in-front of my TV to ALL of these artists. *Chuckle* I love the little Karaoke screen part, haha. Totally reminds me of when I used to Karaoke as little kid.

For nostalgia delivering purposes this video gets an A+, I mean look at the quirky colours and  patterns which totally remind me of something Will would wear in 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air'! Don't the little strawberry and lollipop icons remind you of the sticker packets and books that were all the rage in the 90's!! Oh I can just picture the glitter jelly and plastic accessories and block colour items of clothing.

I know there are a ton of other 90's references that I can't name to be quite honest, haha. And if I were to list all the things I enjoyed about the 90's this blogpost wouldn't come to an end. But I recommend that you watch the video. If you don't really enjoy the song, it's fun to sit down and count how many things remind you of the 90's haha!

You've made it this far, huh? Then, I'll reward you with the 'plastic toy at the bottom of the cereal box'. Who remembers those??? Haha! And the little DVD/CD's and whistles, etc. 


EVERYDAY BE LISTENING TO 90's MUSIC.....ok, let me listen to my 90's playlist and reminisce now, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment